The Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarships, 2019


The Japanese government scholarship award is aimed to foster human resources that will become bridges of friendship between your country and Japan through study in Japan

The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) offers scholarships to international students who wish to study graduate courses at Japanese universities as research students (either non-degree or degree students) under the Japanese Government (MEXT) program for 2019.

Applicants must be a graduate from a Japanese university or have academic ability equal or superior to that of a Japanese university graduate.


  1. Application Deadline: (Ongoing) The deadline for the applications differs according to the country. Please contact with Japanese embassy or consulate general in applicants country.
  2. Course Level:  The studentships are available to study and research at graduate level courses at Japanese universities.
  3. Study Subject: Applicants should apply for the field of study they majored in at university or its related field. Moreover, the fields of study must be subjects which applicants will be able to study and research in graduate courses at Japanese universities. The fields of study may be restricted to particular fields by the Japanese Embassy/Consulate General (hereinafter referred to as the “Japanese diplomatic mission”) in the applicant’s country. A student who studies medicine, dentistry or welfare science will not be allowed to engage in clinical training such as medical care and operative surgery until he/she obtains a relevant license from the Minister of Health, Labor, and Welfare under applicable Japanese laws. Those studying traditional entertainment arts such as Kabuki and classical Japanese dances, or subjects that require practical training in specific technologies or techniques at factories or companies are excluded from this restriction.
  4. Award: Scholarship includes
    • Allowance: 143,000yen (Research Students(non-regular students), 144,000yen (regular students in Master’s courses or professional graduate courses), or 145,000yen(regular students in doctoral courses) per month. (In case the recipient research in a designated region, 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month will be added. The monetary amount each year may be subject to change due to budgetary reasons.) The grant is cancelled in principle if the recipient is absent from the university for an extended period. The sponsorship will be also cancelled in principle in the following situations. If the recipient has been receiving the program despite his/her falling under any of the following situations, the recipient will be ordered to return the amount of scholarship that he/she received during the period wherein he/she was involved with any of the following situations.
    • The recipient is determined to have made a false statement on his/her application;
    • The recipient violates any article of his/her pledge to the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology;
    • The recipient violates any Japanese laws and is sentenced to imprisonment with or without work for life or for a period of exceeding 1 year. However, this shall not apply to those who were found guilty with suspension of execution of sentences;
    • The recipient is expelled from his/her university or preparatory educational institution or receives other punishment, or is removed from enrollment; (The scholarship payment may be stopped during the period up until punishment is decided by the university, etc.)
    • It has been determined that it will be impossible for the recipient to complete the training course within the standard time period because of poor academic grades or suspension from the university;
    • The recipient’s residence status has changed to one other than College Student as defined in the Appended Table I-4 of the Immigration Act;
    • The recipient has received a scholarship from another institution (excluding those specified for research expenditures).
    • If he/she proceeds to a more advanced level of education without receiving approval for an extension of the period of the program.

    (2) Traveling Costs

    • Transportation to Japan: The recipient will be provided, according to his/her itinerary and route as designated by MEXT, with an economy-class airplane ticket from the international airport nearest to his/her home country residence * to the New Tokyo International Airport or any other international airport that the appointed university usually uses. Expenses such as inland transportation from his/her home address to the international airport, airport tax, airport usage fees, special taxes on travel, or inland transportation within Japan will NOT be covered. (*The address in the country of the recipient’s nationality stated in the application form is in principle regarded as the recipient’s “home country residence.”)
    • Transportation from Japan: In principle, the recipient who returns to his/her home country within the fixed period after the expiration of his/her support will be provided, upon application, with an economy-class airplane ticket for travel from the New Tokyo International Airport or any other international airport that the appointed university usually uses to the international airport nearest to his/her home address.
      Note 1: In principle, transportation costs to return to home country are not paid if the student who wish for admission in April 2019 and failed or withdrew to proceed to a regular graduate course for a degree from a Research Student (non-degree) course, or to a doctoral course from a master’s course or a professional graduate course, despite applying for extension of the period of the program, as stated “4. Scholarship Payment Period (3) ?,” so please note this when applying for such an extension.
      Note 2: Any aviation and accident insurance to and from Japan shall be paid for by the recipient. Note 3: If a grantee continues to stay in Japan after the program period has ended, he/she will not be paid travel expenses to return to the home country for a temporary return.

    (3) Tuition and Other Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by the Japanese government.


  • Eligible Countries: Students who have the nationality of a country which has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government can apply for these endowments.List of Countries: Asia-Pacific: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Kiribati, Republic of Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Vietnam. North America: Canada and the United States of America. Latin America and the Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentine, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Commonwealth of Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay and Venezuela. Europe: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan and Vatican. Middle East: Afghanistan, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen and Palestinian Authority. Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Cape Verde, Chad, Comoros, Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabonese Republic, Gambia, Ghana, Republic of Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Zambia, Uganda and Zimbabwe
  • Entrance Requirements: The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is now accepting applications from overseas students to study in Japan. The aim is to foster human resources who will become bridges of friendship between your country and Japan through study in Japan and who will contribute to the development of both countries and the wider world.
    • Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the foreign country and give up their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan. Applicant screening will be conducted at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of the applicant’s nationality.
    • Age: Applicants generally must have been born on or after April 2, 1984.
    • Academic Background: Applicants must be a graduate from a Japanese university or have academic ability equal or superior to that of a Japanese university graduate. A person will be deemed to have academic ability equal or superior to that of a university graduate if he/she:
      -has completed or will complete 16 years of school education in a foreign country (or 18 years of school education if he/she desires to enrol in a doctoral course in the field of medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, or pharmacy which is based on a 6-year course in a department or faculty); or
      -is or will be aged 22 or older and has taken an individual entrance qualification examination and has been judged by a Japanese graduate school as being equal or superior in academic ability to a university graduate (or 24 or older if he/she desires to enroll in a doctoral course in the field of medicine, dentistry or veterinary science, or pharmacy which is based on a 6-year course in a department or faculty). Eligible applicants include those who -otherwise satisfy or will satisfy qualification requirements for admission to a Japanese graduate school. As a general rule, a person who has completed a doctoral course may not apply unless he/she seeks to obtain a degree.
    • Japanese Language Ability: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. Applicants must also have the ability to do research and adapt to living in Japan.
    • Health: Applicants must be free from any mental or physical disabilities that would impede the pursuit of study at Japanese graduate school.
    • Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan between the 1st and 7th of April 2017, or by the date specified by the accepting university, which will fall within two weeks of the starting date for each semester (in general, in September or October) in that year designated by the accepting university. “Arrival in Japan” is considered to be the arrival period specified in the application form; changes will not be permitted after submission of the application.
    • Visa Requirement: Applicants must acquire College Student (ryugaku) visas before entering Japan. They then enter Japan with the College Student (ryugaku) residence status. Please also note that those who change their visa status to one other than College Student after arrival in Japan will lose their qualification to be Japanese government award recipients from the date when their visa status changes.
    • While the applicant is studying in Japan, he/she shall contribute to mutual understanding between Japan and the home country by participating in activities at schools and communities with the aim of contributing to the internationalization of Japan. The applicant shall make efforts to promote relations between the home country and Japan by maintaining close relations with the university attended after graduation, cooperating with the conducting of surveys and questionnaires after the return home, and cooperating with all relevant projects and events conducted by Japanese diplomatic missions in the applicant’s home country.
    • Any applicant who meets any or all of the following conditions is ineligible. If identified after the start of the program period, the applicant will be required to withdraw from the program.
    • Those who are military personnel or military civilian employees at the time of their arrival in Japan;
    •  Those who cannot arrive in Japan during the period designated by MEXT or the accepting university;
    • An applicant who is a previous recipient of a Japanese government award, but does not have educational research experience exceeding more than three years from the first day of the month following the final payment of the previous scholarship to the beginning of the payment of this application , as of April 1. This does not apply to the past recipients of Japanese studies scholarships and Japan-Korea Joint government award Program For The Students In Science And Engineering Departments who have graduated or are going to graduate from universities in their home countries and past participants in the Young Leaders Program;
    • Those who are currently enrolled at a Japanese university with a College Student (ryugaku) residence status; those enrolled, or scheduled to be enrolled, at a Japanese university as a privately-financed international student during the period when the application was filed in the home country until prior to the start of the provision of the program; This does not apply to current self-financed international students at Japanese universities who will complete their courses of study and return to their countries before the end of the current fiscal year;
    •  Recipients of scholarships from institutions other than MEXT (including government institutions in their home countries) that overlap with the Japanese government award (Prospective beneficiaries are included);
    • Applicants who are expected to graduate at the time of application and cannot satisfy the qualifications and the conditions related to academic background by the deadline given;
    •  Holders of dual nationality at the time of application who cannot verify that they will give up Japanese nationality by the time of the arrival in Japan; or
    •  Applicants who wish, from the time of application, to conduct fieldwork or participate in an internship outside of Japan, since this application program is intended for overseas students who wish to enroll in a Japanese university and do graduate research in Japan.
  • English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there. Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan.

Application Procedure:

How to Apply: Applicants must submit the following documents to the Japanese diplomatic missions by the required date. The submitted documents will not be returned.

  1. Application Form
  2. Placement Preference Form
  3. Field of Study and Research Program Plan
  4. Certified grade transcript for each academic year from the last university attended (transcript issued either by alma mater or by applicant’s national government)
  5. Graduation certificate or degree certificate of the last university attended (or an attested document certifying that the applicant will graduate from the school, where applicable)
  6.  Recommendation from the president/dean or the adviser of the last university attended
  7. Medical certificate
  8. Abstracts of theses
  9. Recommendation from the present employer (if currently employed)
  10. Photograph(s) showing applicant’s own works of art or a recorded CD of musical performance (only for those majoring in fine arts or music)
    Note 1: These documents must be written in Japanese or English, or translations in either of these languages should be attached.
    Note 2: Photographs (4.5×3.5 cm, taken within the past six months, upper body, full-faced, uncapped. Write your name and nationality on the reverse and paste them onto the Application Form and Placement Preference Form) attached to the original application must be originals; copies are not acceptable. It is acceptable to paste the data of photo on each application form and print it. (To print your photos and paste it on the application form is not allowed.)
    Note 3: The Field of Study and Research Program Plan should describe concretely and in detail the applicant’s own research program because it will serve as important material for placement of the applicant at a university.
    Note 4: The academic transcripts of the last university attended should show the grade scale applied and the grades earned by the applicant in all the subjects studied for each year of study at a university department/faculty and graduate school. (A degree certificate or a graduation certificate simply showing the ranking of the applicant at graduation will not substitute for academic transcripts.)
    Note 5: The graduation certificate and the degree certificate obtained from the last university attended may be photocopies provided that the copies are attested by an authorized person of the university. Do not submit original as no submitted certificates will be returned.
    Note 6: For abstracts of the theses, abstracts of the graduation thesis and any presented papers will suffice. Please note that these abstracts will be used as basic data for evaluation of the applicant’s academic ability.
    Note 7: Number the documents in the right upper corner.

Application Form

Related Articles

Recent Articles